1629 -

History

Kvadraturen

Kvadraturen is the oldest existing district in Oslo, and it was founded in 1629 by Christian IV who moved the city to the area around Akershus Festning after a major city fire in the old town of Oslo.

By doing this, Christian IV wanted the city to be protected by the defensive walls, and within the walls the king set to life a city plan that ensured the Renaissance ideals of geometric order. The city was named Christiania after its founder, and Kvadraturen is named after the right-angled street network. The architecture of Kvadraturen is four centuries old and well preserved. It houses several of the most important public buildings from Norway’s military and civilian history.

1895 -

History

NEDRE SLOTTSGATE 5

The five-storey farm was registered for construction in 1895 as a workshop, office and warehouse building and was designed by architect Kristen Rivertz in the style of the New Renaissance with a brick façade, simple stucco and stone details that give the farm an industrial feel.

The property was listed by the company Viig & Vraalsen. Only three years after the listing, the property was exposed to fire. The fire was presumed to have started in the basement where there was a forge. The forge had a chimney that protruded 30 meters above street level. In 1913, the basement was converted into a shoe store.

Nedre Slottsgate 5 was at that time a modern business estate with all comforts. In 1916, wholesaler Bernhard Olsen, mercery and paper wholesale, bought the farm and it is therefore known as “Olsengården”.

«For rent in Nedre Slottsgate 5 about. 6,000 r (r = squares) Alens Gulvflade, with Propulsion Electric Light and central heating »VERDENS GANG, JULY 25, 1899

VERDENS GANG, 25. JULI 1899

Wholesaler Bernard Olsen. Portrait
by Halfdan Fritjof Strøm in 1917.
Source: Oslo Museum.